Skip to main content

How to make £50,000 through Self-Reliance.


2016 is the year of self-reliance, in which I'll explore how little I need to be happy.

So far I've dropped a few minor habits, like drinking and dining out, and I've tried to be stricter about careless spending.

Estimated monthly savings so far:

  • No coffee out: £22
  • Taking lunch to work: £52
  • No Alcohol: £50
  • Cycling rather than bussing: £90
  • Cutting my own hair: £5
  • Not dining out: £50

If factor in the alternative costs, like bike parts, tea, groceries, then the savings are around £215 a month. Invested in index funds at a 5% return for 10 years would yield £33,385!

I would need savings of £74,000 to generate enough income to pay for these habits (at a 3.5% return) in retirement. Instead I'll be earning a bonus £100 a month from my savings - that's one ivory backscratcher a year!

Let's see if we can do better though. 

Instead of buying clothes new, there are perfectly nice clothes in charity shops. Estimated savings: £15 a month.

Doing my own bike repairs (especially gear tuning and wheel truing). Estimated savings: £15 a month.

Using the heat an hour less in the winter. Estimated savings: £5 a month.

That brings my estimated savings to £250 a month. 

Still, not good enough.
  • A few minor alterations to my grocery purchases: £20 a month.
  • Being stricter about using re-useable nappies for my daughter: £20 a month.
  • Using the library exclusively for books: £10 a month.

There, that's £300 a month, which, invested at 5% return will yield £50,000 in 10 years. Or £123,000 in 20 years which would produce £360 in passive income (at a 3.5% return).

So, by being a little more self-reliant, by taking a few extra minutes a day to do something for myself, by making an effort to learn a few simple skills, I'll be earning enough to cover my family's grocery bill every month in retirement.

(*For anyone who thinks this doesn't sound like 'fun': here's a great post from Mr.Money Mustache )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you a Rational Commuter?

Inspired by this post from Jacob at Early Retirement Extreme, I decided to do some calculations comparing different methods of transportation. The purpose is to rationally consider which method of transportation costs me the least in time and delivers the greatest benefit.  I'm going to use the concept of 'life-energy hours' from the book Your Money or Your Life? ( read more about the idea in this review ). Basically, it's the idea that when you spend money you've earned, you're really spending the hours of your life you spent working for that money. So, if you make £10 an hour, and you buy an ivory backscratcher for £1000, that's 100 hours of your life. Transportation My transportation needs include commuting to work , going to the grocery store and making the odd trip elsewhere in town . I'm not including large trips like holidays, only ordinary, every day travelling. Comparing different methods of transportation, if I  only  walked, or onl...